News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Is it me?

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 07 February 2011, 01:15

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

I actually did that myself a couple time, but nothing so blatent as the Shostakovich rip....using the chord progression and style but still making a piece my own rather than something that is called on TVTropes "The Jimmy Hart Version".

Alan Howe

Hooray! It's not just me!
BTW I'm enjoying a Stanford symphony-fest at the moment. No.1 this morning and No.2 as I write this. Riches indeed. These works would grace any concert hall.

Alan Howe

Of course, following a Stanford-fest it seemed only logical to hold a Parry-fest - and once again I am astonished to hear so many pre-echoes of Elgar, this time in Parry's 4th Symphony, a quite sublime work. It's high time such magnificent music was performed regularly in the concert hall. I am certain that audiences would be both staggered by the quality of the music.

I assume others of you can also hear what I think I'm hearing...

Mark Thomas

You've whetted my appetite, Alan. Can't wait to get home (in this respect at least) to crack open the old Stanford and Parry jewel boxes. Unaccounatbly, I don't even have Stanford's Fifth (my favorite of his canon) on my iPod!

JimL

Heck, I heard foreshadows of Elgar in the Parry PC!

alberto

In Casella Symphony op.63 (n.3) are there in the Finale reminiscences from the Finale of Mahler Seventh? I hear them,  even if I rate Casella op.63 (more than an undisputed masterpiece) a masterful and very personal work. (The occasion is the new Naxos record: in my opinion good, even if inferior to the CPO in level of orchestral playing).

eschiss1

for some reason I thought I heard foreshadowings of Elgar in the finale of Martucci concerto 2...
(and Casella is known too for his transcription of Mahler 7, so that last interests. I haven't heard his symphonies yet I think despite the recent recordings..., more his chamber works - starting some years ago with one of his cello sonatas on the radio - and some other things.)

reineckeforever

what do you think about balakirev PC1 2nd theme and Arensky PC 2nd theme? different atmosphere, but the melodic lines are very similar. Bye Andrea

kolaboy

Near the end of Schumann's Der Konigssohn there is a direct quote of the famous "laugh motif" at the beginning of the Woody Woodpecker theme song. Is this cosmic, or were composers George Tibbles and Ramey Idriss well versed in Schumann esoterica?

Alan Howe

It's cosmic, as Rodney Trotter would have said  ;)

Steve B

Alan, Parry's Fourth is indeed a sublime work; especially the poignant nobilmente theme in the last movement. i think he is the consistently greatest of the unsung composers!:) Steve.PS and the jaunty Boycean opening of symphony 3.!

reineckeforever

shakira?s hips don't lie and Britten's n.5 from five waltzts?