News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Moór, Westminster Library & Sym.3

Started by Reverie, Thursday 11 May 2023, 20:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

It occurs to me that one might write to Kistner & Siegel (Siegel acquired Kistner in 1919) to ask if they have the full score of No. 7 in their archive. It may be a long shot because, of course, the publishing house was based in Leipzig and suffered serious damage in WWII, but worth a try. If Siegel printed a partitur of No. 7 it is surprising that no copy seems to be lurking in a German (or other European) library - and Fleisher didn't acquire one either.

Reverie

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 23 August 2023, 09:57Did they have a list of other Moòr works in their archives that were not symphonies, btw?

As GW has eluded I think there is quite a bit of other music lurking. When I went they said due to staffing issues (cutbacks etc) it wasn't easy to get to the archive. I think it is all still uncatalogued too.

Gareth Vaughan

That it is still uncatalogued would not surprise me. I actually offered to catalogue it for them (I was younger and had more energy then!!!), but the offer was not taken up. At the time I visited, the librarian allowed me to visit the basement and explore the archive unsupervised and at my leisure. Probably wouldn't happen now.

Reverie

No I tried to volunteer and was met with a "raised eyebrow".

Despite the cutbacks they do have in the library a weekly (monthly?) concert. All the furniture is moved to make way for the recital. I perused the final Moor scores to the sound of some Rachmaninoff preludes which was a distraction, but most enjoyable all the same. It was attended by about twenty odd people which wasn't bad for mid-day just away from the madness of Leicester Square.

eschiss1

One work I'm curious about, too, is the orchestral version (violin-and-orchestra, that is) of his suite, Op.50, which I don't otherwise see catalogued anywhere (or by them, but again, they might have it in their archives as yet uncatalogued.) Having recently scanned the reduction and uploaded it to IMSLP, I'd be curious as to its instrumentation. (Or it's possible the Stiftung is mistaken as to its being a violin-orchestra work, or the original might be in manuscript only in some unknown location- or might have been and now lost- or etc. Well, worth asking :) )
As to Op.45, have you digitized the score, out of curiosity?
And I was mistaken above about any of the published scores being numbered- which led to confusion between no.2 and no.7...

Reverie