News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The Boston Six

Started by albion, Monday 14 February 2011, 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

Quote from: jerfilm on Tuesday 29 November 2011, 14:08
I, too, am a Hadley fan but sadly have not had any exposure beyond the meagre offerings of our recording companys.  Do you have any performances that you can share with us?

Jerry
Let me see if I can get permission to share some things.

minacciosa

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 30 November 2011, 03:20
There's a recording of Henry Hadley as a conductor (of the New York Philharmonic), I think, in the Swedish Media Archives, dating from 1925 - hrm. I forget, was he at all known as a conductor, does this make any sense, or would it be a different Henry Hadley?
It's the same Hadley, equally famous as conductor. He made a number of short recordings as conductor, and they have circulated. I'm sure someone here has them.

minacciosa

Quote from: minacciosa on Monday 26 March 2012, 17:38
I, too, am a Hadley fan but sadly have not had any exposure beyond the meagre offerings of our recording companys.  Do you have any performances that you can share with us?

Jerry
Let me see if I can get permission to share some things.
I will be able to share some Hadley. Give me a few days to put some things together.

jerfilm

That sounds great.  Will look forward to it.

Jerry

minacciosa

Jerry
Here are performances of works by Henry Kimball Hadley. I'm ashamed to say that they are exceedingly rare, as the quality of this composer's work is superb. He wrote a fair amount of lighter music (October Twilight, Piano Concertino being examples) along with his major tone poems, symphonies, operas and narrative cantatas. Unfortunately, to the extent that Hadley has been performed since his death it has been those lighter works (such as Legend of Hani, Ballet of the Flowers) that have been heard. Though Hadley's orchestral works are fantastic, I believe Hadley's greatest achievements lie in his large cantatas (Mirtil in Arcadia, Music: An Ode, Resurgam, etc.), and in his operas. The performances below are all broadcasts except for Othello, said performance of which I have permission to share.

Othello Op.96
M-Tel Classic FM Symphony Orchestra
John McLaughlin Williams, Conductor
2/15/11

In Bohemia Op.28
Oklahoma City Symphony Orchestra
Guy Fraser Harrison, Conductor
1/10/54

In Bohemia Op.28
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
Fabien Sevitsky, Conductor
3/5/43