News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The Boston Six

Started by albion, Monday 14 February 2011, 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: Amphissa on Monday 21 November 2011, 14:28

It's really quite an embarrassment that these recordings were made by Brits rather than Yanks. And equally disappointing that, in all my years attending concerts, I've not encountered performances of works by any of these composers. A sad commentary on the state of classical music in the U.S.

Ugh, don't get me started.  When Placido Domingo took the helm as general director of Washington National Opera, he made a big point of programming one American opera every year...a national opera for the nation's capital, as he put it.  I'm afraid it didn't work as well as he wanted it to.  And the NSO has done nothing to boost anything that's not new music.  I'd like to see more amateur groups get in on the ground floor, but so far not much is being done.

eschiss1

MusicSack lists 13 sources that at least mention William Clifford Heilman. Have fun.

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 21 November 2011, 17:01
MusicSack lists 13 sources that at least mention William Clifford Heilman. Have fun.

Ooh, thank you.  Never seen that site before, but I shall make much use of it in future.

mikehopf

Maybe I can help with some more Horatio Parker orchestral works, viz:

Organ Concerto Op.55
Northern Ballad
Vathek - Symphonic Suite

mikehopf

I've got an old recording of:

PARKER: Suite for Piano Trio
WC HEILMAN: Piano Trio

These may have been reissued on CD?

albion

Mike, who are the performers in your recording of the Organ Concerto?

???

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: mikehopf on Monday 21 November 2011, 20:02
I've got an old recording of:

PARKER: Suite for Piano Trio
WC HEILMAN: Piano Trio

These may have been reissued on CD?

Who are the players?  When I get home I can check the ones on my disc and let you know.

mikehopf

Who are the players?  When I get home I can check the ones on my disc and let you know.

Rawlins Piano Trio

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: mikehopf on Monday 21 November 2011, 20:58

Rawlins Piano Trio

Yep.  That's been reissued, then - that's the one I've got.

mikehopf

I'm not sure, John. Probably from this source:

Horatio Parker: Hora Novissima/Organ Concerto
Horatio William Parker (Composer), John Levick (Conductor), Abendmusik Chorus (Orchestra), Nebraska Wesleyan Choir (Orchestra), Anna Soranno (Performer)

This is still available from Amazon

jerfilm

Yes  four of the Rawlins Trio's Cds are available for download from Amazon.com

In fact, I just did this afternoon.

Jerry

chill319

Responding to reply 28 (Amphissa), if memory serves the Karl Krueger recordings were made in the mid to late 1950s under the auspices of the Society for the Preservation of American Music, which distributed the LPs to libraries. Many have been remastered for CD and issued by the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. 

minacciosa

My two cents: all of the aforementioned composers wrote fine, estimable and even near-great works (particularly Parker and Chadwick), but the greatest among them isn't mentioned, despite his Massachusetts origins. Henry Hadley outstripped them all in nearly every way. I've been fortunate to become acquainted with very many of his works through commercial and air check recordings, by obtaining piano scores and playing them, and by obtaining full scores and manuscripts. using Finale, I've made new scores and created virtual performances of a few of his larger works. Of all of them, Hadley deserves a recorded edition.

jerfilm

I, too, am a Hadley fan but sadly have not had any exposure beyond the meagre offerings of our recording companys.  Do you have any performances that you can share with us?

Jerry

eschiss1

There's a recording of Henry Hadley as a conductor (of the New York Philharmonic), I think, in the Swedish Media Archives, dating from 1925 - hrm. I forget, was he at all known as a conductor, does this make any sense, or would it be a different Henry Hadley?