News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Piano Concertos -- The List

Started by Amphissa, Monday 21 February 2011, 23:12

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

also in reference to the piano-concertos.org wishlist, is the Ridky concerto of 1932 his op.46? This has been recorded on Supraphon LPM 471--LPM 472, or so I gather?  Binghamton University Library has it (Worldcat reference here since Binghamton's library catalog doesn't seem to have a permalink I can see.)

Have seen some interesting piano works and a string quartet by Zanella...

giles.enders

I have the recording of Tveitt playing his third piano concerto.  The problem with Tveitt, is that he often deviated quite substantially from what he had written.  It would be good if someone could transcribe the recording.  Similarly the piano concerto of Edward Isaacs.

Amphissa

Quote from: giles.enders on Thursday 24 February 2011, 11:02
I have the recording of Tveitt playing his third piano concerto.  The problem with Tveitt, is that he often deviated quite substantially from what he had written.  It would be good if someone could transcribe the recording.  Similarly the piano concerto of Edward Isaacs.

Have you ever listened to Rachmaninoff's recordings of his own concertos? It was common practice, not only for the composers, but also for major performers, to do that. Horowitz made cuts, rewrote passages and generally tweaked Rachmaninoff's 3rd. Ever listen to the many different "versions" of Gliere's 3rd symphony? Even Stokowski, who was a champion of Gliere's music, made massive cuts and changes in his two different recorded versions.

It is only in the second half of the 20th century that absolute fidelity to the score became a religion. Improvisation and creative performance have disappeared. We are poorer for that. How much more fun it would be if each new recording of a popular concerto was actually different enough to set it apart from others. How much more fun it would be to attend concerts and be surprised and sometimes thrilled by the creative interpretation of a piece rather than just technical perfection.

Personally, I don't care if Tveitt's performance coincides exactly with the score. However, I would love to have a modern recording by a good pianist and much better orchestra.

Gareth Vaughan

Does an orchestral score of Edward Isaac's PC still exist?

eschiss1

In regards earlier post, I do tend to care if an orchestra and composer-soloist advertise piano concerto no.4 and give us note for note the piece they've earlier performed as composer-soloist's piano concerto no.1 - I don't know how much I care, but it at least seems odd.  Matter of degree/kind/whatnot.  There's literalism, there's useful cuts (Liszt treated cuts as compositions themselves and I well know it), then there's what Fellegi in his Medtner recordings and I gather Toradze in a Mussorgski recording give us (wholesale, unannounced in the notes, structural recomposition by the pianist - Fellegi makes minor adjustments to Medtner's sonata reminiscenza op.38/1 - ok- but then reinserts the deliberately missing 2nd subject recapitulation in the sonata tragica op.39/5 and omits the cadenza section before the coda entirely... (one could argue that Medtner's idiosyncratic removal of the 2nd subject makes even more sense when one performs the Canzona mattinata op.39 no.4 which also contains the same '2nd subject' as contrasting material - but hey, there's a question- why not record the Canzona... both lovely sonatas are even better in context in the entire opp.38, 39 sets anyway, as Hamelin shows. But I -really- digress :) )

eschiss1

something also re piano-concertos.org if I might- you list the Liebling concerto eroico in A major, op22 as "1925" which was the date of the earliest performance I can locate, but not the date of its composition or publication- a 2-piano score was published in 1900 (was the full score only published in 1925? what's the history there?  Also, your list of Emanuel Moor's concertos doesn't list his op.85 in E-flat major (whereas his opus 46 in C minor only seems to exist in piano reduction according to the Stiftung if I read aright. In all E.Moor seems to have written two concertos without opus number - in D major and D minor - and the concertos opus 57 and 85 in D-flat and E-flat, also opus 46 if that has a full score, in C minor - making 4 or 5 in all... also a concerto for harp and piano, another for violin and piano, and the triple concerto already mentioned on the site. 
Röntgen's output is one of those 'let me get that PDF out that used to be on the Donemus site... after I wake up' things.)

IMSLP has a concerto in F minor by an Auguste Dupont published in 1882. Anyone know anything about this person for starters...

Gareth Vaughan

The MS full score of Moor's Op. 46 C minor PC exists. It is in the Moor Archive at the Victoria Music Library in London. This archive is uncatalogued and difficult to access, though the head librarian is very cooperative and has allowed me to explore it in the basement, but because it is uncatalogued it is not possible to have individual items located by library staff and brought to the reading rooms.

giles.enders

Auguste Duponte 1827-1890, Belgian.  Wrote a suite for piano quintet.  Not to be confused with Gabriel  Dupont 1878-1914 French, who also wrote a piano quintet, 1911.
The orchestral score of Edward Isaac's piano concerto is "missing" all that I am aware of is, is the off air recording made about 1950.  Given Isaac's son was a musician, I am surprised that he did not take greater care of his Father's works.  The son spent a considerable amount of time in Canada and there is just a chance it could be there.

eschiss1

hrm. actually I do see there's a brief biography of Auguste Dupont(e) at Bach-Cantatas after all. The piano concerto looked interesting... interesting about the piano quintet too. I seem to recall de Lange Jr. wrote one also (as well as a concerto for violin in D minor or major- the one part I saw looked like a first movement and was definitely D minor- and a cello concerto.) anyhow!... not lacking in interest but must dash :) (sighs of relief heard ;) )

jerfilm

DuPont also write a Konzertstucke for piano and orchestra, opus 42

Jerry

thalbergmad

Indeed and an earlier Premier Allegro du Concerto in the same key as his later concerto.

I once had a bash at this but my technique failed me during a "Maestoso e animato" section. The Presto ending is rather effective. Nothing wrong with a bit of youthful abandon.

Thal

Gerhard Griesel

I have been using Giles' list now for some time to try and find CDs of concertos, for which I search on Amazon. It is a slow process, and I don't strike gold more than once or twice a year because of the dearth of recordings available. I have also made use of a list on Wikipedia.

Gerhard

eschiss1

Quote from: Gerhard Griesel on Sunday 27 February 2011, 12:50
I have been using Giles' list now for some time to try and find CDs of concertos, for which I search on Amazon. It is a slow process, and I don't strike gold more than once or twice a year because of the dearth of recordings available. I have also made use of a list on Wikipedia.

The webpage (unfortunately, no RSS feed that I know of- it's a category page and does update occasionally as new concertos are uploaded)... piano concertos at IMSLP (sort of oversimplifying the description of the page) might interest and be useful too; don't know, hope it is. (Just the category works for piano and orchestra without the piano concertos limitation, but including symphonic poems for piano and orchestra or works misfiled :) - is useful too...)

Amphissa

The first composer I looked at raised a question. The listing for Martucci includes Piano Concerto No. 2, but no listing for No. 1 in D minor, op. 40 (1878), and his concertante Andante for Cello and Orchestra, op. 69 no. 2, (1888, rev 1907) is not there either. Is this because the sheet music is not available?

eschiss1

Quote from: Amphissa on Monday 28 February 2011, 14:32

The first composer I looked at raised a question. The listing for Martucci includes Piano Concerto No. 2, but no listing for No. 1 in D minor, op. 40 (1878), and his concertante Andante for Cello and Orchestra, op. 69 no. 2, (1888, rev 1907) is not there either. Is this because the sheet music is not available?

are we talking about IMSLP? it's a listing of scores and recordings. The first date of publication of the first concerto, I suspect, is probably more recent than 1960, so a scan of a published score probably (I'm guessing here) cannot be hosted on the server as the work is not yet in the public domain in Canada where IMSLP is hosted; a scanned manuscript -might- be legal to host (there are laws concerning the ins and outs of that too, having to do with something called editio princeps etc.) Likewise I suspect with op.69/2's orchestration. Other examples abound. There's a page or two on the site (This is one) having to do with this...