News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Röntgen VCs from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 26 February 2011, 00:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

cpo are soon to release a CD of violin concertos by Julius Röntgen (A minor, 1902; D major, 1925/6; F#minor, 1931) played by Liza Ferschtman with the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz under David Porcelijn.

M. Henriksen

Great news Alan! To be released at the end of March?
But I really do wonder what happened to the cpo-release of the same composer's Piano Concertos nos. 2 & 4?

Morten

eschiss1

I hope by the way that the two violin concertos listed in a Rontgen worklist but now apparently missing, will turn up. Even though I know no more about them (and haven't yet heard the one violin concerto that has been recorded. Seems to do well with his 3 cello concertos, though!). Concertzender (once of Hilversum) broadcast a lot of Rontgen some years back (still available online in their webstreaming archive, I think, making a good introduction to his music) and I liked what I heard!

Alan Howe

The two early VCs are lost - period.

As for cpo's release dates, 'soon' could mean virtually anything...

M. Henriksen

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 26 February 2011, 17:59
As for cpo's release dates, 'soon' could mean virtually anything...

So very true.. Still I have expectations this disc will be released in my lifetime!

Morten

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The A minor VC in this recording is certainly superior to that by Ragin on Centaur. The biggest difference is the much more spacious reading of the slow movement on cpo; however, the orchestral playing is also more dynamic (Porcelijn clearly knows his Röntgen) and so the overall effect is of a bigger, grander piece. Wonderful. Now to listen to the other works on the CD... 

Peter1953

What a delicious, utterly lyrical VC's. Gorgeous, beautifully developed themes, very well-crafted orchestration. The slow movement, lento, of the A minor concerto (No. 1) is ever so moving. But I can say the same thing of the 2nd movement, andante tranquillo, of the F sharp minor concerto (No. 3). What a composer Röntgen is! The Ballad for Violin and Orchestra is a wonderful piece of music as well. Purely listening pleasure, although the main theme is a bit triste, but so beautiful (almost a tearjerker).
I cannot imagine a member who will not been captivated by this very romantic music. And a compliment to violinist Liza Ferschtman. She knows how to touch a sensitive chord, so to speak. This whole CD is a winner, IMHO absolutely a must-buy. You won't be disappointed!

Mark Thomas

I was going to write pretty much the same thing, so I'm grateful for being saved the trouble. Each of these works is a real treat - amongst the best Röntgen I've heard.

Alan Howe

The F#minor VC is a lovely work too - with a faintly 'Romantic neo-classical' feel to the finale in particular, but it's the slow movement that's the gem here. A breathtakingly beautiful Andante tranquillo. Sorry guys, this is a must-buy!

JimL

You'd better be sorry!  I feel the compulsion taking over...see what you've done!?

petershott@btinternet.com

I'd modify Alan's advice: anything by Rontgen is a must buy. As far as I'm aware (nominations invited!) he never wrote a dud!

DennisS

Hi all
Have just spent a couple of hours listening again to this delightful CPO disc. The music is indeed truly wonderful and the VCs get my highest praise. Both the concertos are lovely but I have a slight preference for the F sharp minor. The Andante tranquillo is, as Alan describes it, breathtakingly beautiful but I also hugely enjoy its joyous Finale, lasting just a mere 4'22 but great fun. As Peter said, the Ballad is lovely too but rather melancholic, especially in the outer segments. Very beautiful all the same. This is definitely a must buy cd, especially if you love Röntgen, as I do.
cheers
Dennis

JimL

Finally got this from CD Universe.  Look forward to it tremendously.  Looks like it only took a couple of months for them to pick it up after it was released.  BTW, the D Major work appears to be titled "Ballade" rather than "Concerto".