Rozycki 'Ballade' (Op. 2 and/or 18?)

Started by Richard Moss, Monday 27 May 2024, 15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

I have an old Olympia CD (OCD 306) which has, as its first track, a piece labelled as Rozycki's Ballade Op 2 (8'34).  However, when I play the CD on my PC the track length actually shows as 11'53.  It seems to me this is the same work as the Hyperion Ballade Op 18 (track length 10'35) but my ears (age again!) have trouble retaining the tune between switching on the PC from one to the other.

Are they different works, a re-working of the original, or just yet another labelling error (by Olympia, in this case, I assume).

Any light in this dark corner appreciated.

Richard

Theodore S.

It could be a misnomer - Rozycki's Op. 2 is a set of 5 preludes for piano: https://imslp.org/wiki/5_Preludes_for_Piano,_Op.2_(R%C3%B3%C5%BCycki,_Ludomir)

Does the piece sound the same as Op. 18? For some reason that piece is often called "Ballade no. 2", but I can't find any other info on what would be "Ballade no. 1".

It may also be worth checking the lengths of the other tracks, to see if one of those is actually 8'34. Hope this helps!

Gareth Vaughan

No. It is another Olympia error. The Ballade is definitely Op. 18 and, as Theodore rightly points out, Op. 2 is a set of Preludes.
These "Cinq Preludes" (for piano solo) have been recorded for Acte Prealable by Valentina Seferinova and are available on AP 0438.

Alan Howe

Errors in documentation are a real nuisance.

IMSLP is probably the best resource I know of:
https://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Ludomir_R%C3%B3%C5%BCycki

Richard Moss

Thanks for the prompt updates.  Guess I'm back to one Ballade, not two!

cheers

Richard

eschiss1

Unless Op.7, or Op.13 - or Op.17..., or some early unpublished/WoO work, or- something- is Ballade No.1 :)

Most of the IMSLP worklists at least begin in progress (often compiled out of material from Worldcat and publishers' catalogs etc.), even if --- optimally --- later they're compared to, and rationalized with, more authoritative worklist publications. :)

semloh

Gosh, I have that Olympia disc too, and never noticed the error. Thanks, Gareth, abd well-spotted, Richard!