Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 11 June 2024, 20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Another excellent public performance of a Scriabin symphony from Spain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-CdtD1Otx4

Orquesta Sinfónica de Galicia
conducted by Dmitri (Dima) Slobodeniouk

Ilja

There's quite a bit of exciting programming going on in Spain these days, and I was lucky enough to attend the Orquesta de Extremadura's performance of Zemlinsky's D minor symphony earlier this year in Badajoz (after they did the Woyrsch No. 1 last season). The Galicians have a fine orchestra, and this performance shows it.

eschiss1

Nice YouTube channel the orchestra has, too. I see the same conductor and ensemble in Suk's Asrael symphony and other things.

Alan Howe

Agreed. There are some lessons for unadventurous concert programmers in the UK, that's for sure.

Maury

Well most concert promoters are like the Bourbon monarchy learning nothing and forgetting nothing. I expect nothing here in the US and unfortunately the UK seems to be regressing from the modest level they achieved post WW2.

eschiss1

We in Ithaca were fortunate this season, actually. (I ended up having to choose between some really good concerts. This is not typical- I think?)

Ilja

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 12 June 2024, 21:35Agreed. There are some lessons for unadventurous concert programmers in the UK, that's for sure.
Also, concerts are generally well attended, even for less familiar repertoire. I visit them semi-regularly, and it has been more difficult getting tickets of late. Same thing in Badajoz: the hall was packed for an obscure (but very fun) Zemlinsky symphony. True,  there was the pre-interval Beethoven piano concerto, but almost no one walked out after that.