Franchetti Symphony in E minor/etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 14 June 2024, 22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from Naxos:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9636905--franchetti-symphony-nella-foresta-nera-wolf-ferrari-sinfonia-da-camera

Couplings: Franchetti - 'Nella Foresta nera', Impressione sinfonica
                  Wolf-Ferrari - Sinfonia da camera in B-Flat Major

semloh

Stirring performances of both Franchetti works have been issued on a Bongiovanni CD, along with pieces by Leoncavallo; and the Wolf-Ferrari has had several outings including on CPO. From what I've heard there's not much to choose between the versions.

Justin

The Naxos performances are slower. I think the Moldavian Symphony Orchestra recording is taken at a good pace.

Alan Howe

It'll be worth a punt, I think. The orchestra on the rival recording is pretty provincial-sounding.

alberto

I have the Bongiovanni recording and I consider the performances of the two Franchetti works  serviceable, but not really good.
BTW I would like to point out that the Franchetti Symphony (first performance 1886, Dresden) was conducted by Sir Henry Wood at the London Proms in 1896.
"Nella foresta nera" (1900) was equally conducted by Wood at the London Proms in 1905.
In the last decades the two works, in actual concerts, in practice disappeared even in Torino, the composer's city.
Only the indefatigable Neeme Jarvi conducted in recent years the Symphony at least in Rome.

Alan Howe

I agree with your assessment of the Bongivanni CD. I'm sure the Naxos will be an improvement.

jasthill

Question:  Wasn't the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma disbanded in 2014? It would seem that this recording is maybe one that was "in the can" as they say or a transcript from a broadcast.  I believe the same argument could be made for the previous Naxos release of the Giovanni Sgambati: Symphony No. 2; Sinfonia Epitalamio ('Nuptial Symphony').  Maybe Naxos has some more goodies awaiting from the Sinfonica di Roma.  A new Malipiero symphony cycle (or at least some of them) would be nice.

Justin

Quote from: jasthill on Tuesday 18 June 2024, 03:12It would seem that this recording is maybe one that was "in the can" as they say
That was the case with the Martucci Sinfonia Festiva & Piano Concerto release, I believe.

Alan Howe

Naxos have probably been waiting for a suitable coupling: the Wolf-Ferrari is played by a Norwegian chamber music group.