F. X. Scharwenka: Symphony in C minor and Piano Concerto No. 1

Started by Tapiola, Saturday 10 August 2024, 16:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapiola

Gareth Vaughan

This is rather nice. The sound bites are enticing. Crisp playing all round. Well worth investigating, I would say.

Alan Howe

Yes, I'll be purchasing this one. I have great admiration for the main Polish orchestras.

eschiss1

Comparing timings, every movement is briefer than the Sterling recording --

14:16/7:08/9:39/10:18 (Sterling)

13:47/6:34/8:43/9:56 (cpo).

Alan Howe

Jonathan

Excellent! Another one for the wishlist.  I wonder if they'll be recording the other F.X.Scharwenka piano concerto?

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Though one can always hope there's also a 5th that's gone missing... just because! :) And that cpo will do his brother's symphonies and other orchestral works, too :)

tuatara442442

This release is quite surprising, though I have to admit the PC1 and the symphony (except for the scherzo) doesn't interest me. The same orchestra and conductor have recorded PC4 (with another pianist) and Mataswintha overture on Naxos more than ten years ago. Presumably this is the same project published on different labels. Hope they continue this not too far in the future, I can't wait for a new PC3 recording (there are only 2 of them, at least commercial ones that I know of)

eschiss1

Yeah, I think you're right- just the 1997 (reissued 2003) one on Collins/Hyperion and the more recent one on Chandos. The Centaur disc is of nos.1&2 only, now I think on it...

Alan Howe

Here are the same orchestra and conductor performing the Symphony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBC1EaAbbYc

Sounds tremendous!

If you think about it there were some very fine symphonies written in Poland in this period: Noskowski, Scharwenka (X.), Wieniawski (J.).

Ilja

Don't forget Karlowicz, Stojowski and Moszkowski, whose B minor symphony should be released on Toccata any moment now (right? RIGHT?...)

I don't think that the fact hat the same forces recorded other Xaver Scharwenka works necessarily means that this is part of the same project; most Polish orchestras have a healthy interest in their nation's musical heritage. Personally, I hope that some of Philipp Scharwenka's orchestral works (particularly his Traum und Wirklichkeit, Herbstfeier (Symphony No. 1) and D minor symphony) may get some attention soon.

eschiss1

And while it may be the same as the suite of the same name, the P. Scharwenka Arkadische Sinfonie is available for hire from Berlin Verlag Neue Musik.

Gareth Vaughan

I'd very much like to see Philip Scharwrnka's symphonies recorded, especially Hetbstfeier, but I have looked in vain for a full score (or parts) of that work, but so far have been able to locate only vocal scores thereof. Full scores of the others exit in various libraries, although the LoC record for theSymphonia brevis has the ominous prefix "u"!

Alan Howe

Quote from: Ilja on Saturday 17 August 2024, 22:52Don't forget Karlowicz, Stojowski and Moszkowski

Actually I was thinking of composers of a certain generation - Wieniawski J. (b.1837), Noskowski (b.1846), Scharwenka X. (b.1850). Stokowski (b.1869) and Karlowicz (b.1876) are rather later. And, as for the Symphony by Moszkowski (b.1854), it's very early (1873) and I'm not yet convinced of its stature or worth. Zobaczymy!

Of course, one might add Paderewski, Szymanowski, etc.