F. X. Scharwenka: Symphony in C minor and Piano Concerto No. 1

Started by Tapiola, Saturday 10 August 2024, 16:50

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

There's an interesting downloadable dissertation (Smialek, North Texas State, 1981) on Dobrzynski's symphonies, half of which is a score of his 2nd...

eschiss1

Also, Nowakowski (1800-65) composed a symphony chosen by Chopin over Dobrzynski's first for a March 1830 concert he conducted (or organized or both?), but does anyone know if the material for the former survives? (And then there's whatever survives of the two symphonies of Sowinski...)

Alan Howe

Thanks, Eric. As I said, I was thinking of a particular group of Polish symphonists all writing in about the same period. For those wishing to cast the 'Polish symphonic net' more widely, please see the relevant information here:
https://musicwebinternational.com/national-discographies/balkan-symphonies/

I personally would like to know more about the Symphonies of Zelenski (b.1837), about which IMSLP has this rather bare entry:
2 Symphonies (1871–72, 1912?)

eschiss1

Portal lists a first symphony Op.36 from ca.1871, lost except for the Andante sostenuto; and a 2nd symphony (1910-12) "zaginiona" (missing). So, one movement from an incomplete Zelenski symphony is all we get, and I don't know where it is :(

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I put in a comment in the discussion forum there, for now...

Gareth Vaughan

The Andante from Zelenski's 1st Symphony is published by Polish music publisher PWM  under the title "Funeral Tones". Score and parts are available for hire. According to the publisher's catalogue entry it lasts 8 mins.

Alan Howe