Richard Stöhr Symphony No.2/etc. (Toccata)

Started by 4candles, Wednesday 04 September 2024, 14:40

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Another important recording forthcoming from Toccata (not yet on their Pipeline, but imminent), including:

• Per Aspera ad Astra, Op. 79a
  • Two Roads to Victory, Op. 79b
  • Symphony No. 2 in D minor, Op. 81

4c

Alan Howe

Thanks for the heads-up.

We will need to know more about the style of Symphony No.2, though - it dates from 1942. Please refer to this earlier thread:
https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,9155.msg93518.html#msg93518

eschiss1

2-piano reduction at imslp should provide some info for scorereaders; I know of no recordings otherwise.

Alan Howe

I hope it'll be acceptable - just doing my job 'policing' our remit.

4candles

Reverie

Very interested in this  -  I had a go at orchestrating parts of the 2nd symphony from the 2 piano reduction but it proved to involve too much guesswork basically. I wonder where the score came from? The college told me there was no score!

eschiss1

Did they mean no score, or no score and no parts? (Unfortunately the St Michael's College link showing the College's holdings of his music- the finding aid- seems to be down- maybe it's moved at their site...) Ah, it's moved here.

eschiss1

hrm. sym.2 is mentioned twice: box 5 folder 10 has the 2-piano reduction, box 9 folder 1 has the "bound score". Unless these are just the same thing, or the score is missing, I presume the full score is the one in box 9, but since they can't find it, that doesn't bode well (I mean, I'd prefer they used a symphony that existed in full rather than one that needed to be reconstructed). Is Martin Anderson reading this and able presumably to shed some light...

Alan Howe

Excerpts are now available here:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9666593--richard-stohr-orchestral-music-vol-3

I don't think there's any problem with the idiom of the composer's later music!

eschiss1

Wasn't expecting there to be but glad to have that confirmed (well, ok, yes, I wouldn't mind but you know what I mean!)

Ilja

Regarding stylistic suitability for this forum, I don't think we need to worry. The 2nd orchestral suite from 1947 is as lusciously romantic as his earlier work.

Alan Howe

Looks as though you're right. Wonder whether his style changed much at all - there are six symphonies written between 1942 (No.2) and 1951 (No.7).

Reverie

Love those excerpts from the symphony - thank you. Looking forward to November 1st. Stöhr's music hits the spot for me every time!

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan