Alexander Glazunov (1865-1936)

Started by albion, Sunday 13 March 2011, 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

It took me a long time to give Glazunov a fair listen. I despised the drunkard for screwing up the premier of Rachmaninoff's first symphony. Although Rachmaninoff did well enough in the end, how different it might have been if that premier had gone well.

My opinion of him was also influenced by Glazunov's antagonism towards Myaskovsky, Stravinsky and Prokofiev, and their reciprocal dislike for him.

Once I got past those issues and just listened to the music without the baggage, I found enough to enjoy. Personally, I prefer Rozhdestvensky's recordings as a complete set.

One set of the symphonies that I don't really recommend is Svetlanov's, which is typically variable in quality. That said, Svetlanov did manage to record pretty much all of the orchestral poems, serenades, ballets, etc over a period of 30 years. All those were pulled together into a 6-CD box set, which is certainly a convenient way to obtain all those works, while getting the symphonies elsewhere.

Peter1953

Just got home from a business trip, found my ordered Glazunov symphonies double disc (Serebrier), and am very much enjoying listening to these wonderful works (warmly recommended).
I have a very trivial (stupid) question which has nothing to do with Glazunov. Why is the order of the symphonies on disc 1 nos. 3 & 9 and disc 2 nos. 2 & 1? Why not disc 1 nos. 1 & 2 and disc 2 nos. 3 & 9? I know, there are a lot of other similar examples. What could be the reason behind this?

albion

Peter, I know exactly what you mean - if possible I also prefer disc programmes to be arranged chronologically or numerically. 3-9-2-1 seems more than usually random!

Hopefully Warner will sort it out when they release the entire cycle in a lovely boxed set;)

TerraEpon

One might imagine there's an "artistic" reason. Someone considers it a better listen. After all, the works were written years apart and with no intention of being listened to together....so theoretically it shouldn't matter all that much.
I have myself ripped some symphony cycles and listened to them in order when they weren't on CD, though. It is enjoyable to listen to the progression.

....incidently, Beethoven's 5th and 6th were premiered at the same concert, and the 6th was played first.

mbhaub

Quote from: Amphissa on Monday 14 March 2011, 19:34

One set of the symphonies that I don't really recommend is Svetlanov's, which is typically variable in quality. That said, Svetlanov did manage to record pretty much all of the orchestral poems, serenades, ballets, etc over a period of 30 years. All those were pulled together into a 6-CD box set, which is certainly a convenient way to obtain all those works, while getting the symphonies elsewhere.

I wasn't too keen on Svetlanov either, having known the 4th on a Vox cd. But, Berkshire Record Outlet currently offers the Glazunov set at a smashing discount over the regular price, so what the heck! Although another Glazunov set is the last thing I need, I got it and I'm not disappointed. The sound is typical Melodiya - somehwat muddled, but not objectionable. The extremely fast fade outs at the end of tracks is most annoying. The orchestral sound very Russian (I like that) the conducting typical Svetlanov - tending to be bombastic in the codas, which are often hard driven. Otherwise, he gives Glazunov room to breathe and it's almost gracious. He offers an approach that perhaps is fairly authentic, if that means anything for Glazunov.

I still thing the sets to own, in order of overall quality are: Warner Serebrier, Orfeo Jarvi, Olympia (Melodiya) Rozsdestvensky, Naxos Anissinov, Bis Otaka, then Svetlanov on Warner. Mind you, none of them is bad. If you could only have one Glazunov set, any of these would be fine. I can't include the Chandos because it's incomplete. And one recording that is must: the 4th on Urania with the Kansas City Philharmonic and Hans Schweiger.

Peter1953

BTW, who else besides Serebrier has recorded the unfinished 9th? It's an interesting, serene movement.

eschiss1

there was a Melodiya/Olympia recording, I believe? Or just Olympia? Kitaenko conducting, coupled with Lvov's violin concerto. (I need to check better reference sources than the ones I just did to refresh my memory. I've heard it on the radio once I believe...)

alberto

I own an Olympia of Melodiya source. OCD 147
It is labelled "A Russian concerto no 2."
Contents:
-Glazunov Symphony n.9 unfinished (Leningrad Philh. cond. one G.Yudin) 10' 24"
-Lvov Violin Concerto (S.Stadler viol., Lenigrad Phil.cond by V.Chernushenko) 19' 19"
-Kabalewsky Musical sketches to Romeo and Juliet (Moscow Symph.Orch. cond. Dmitri Kitaenko) 34' 57"
The unfinished 9th is also, if I remeber well, on Naxos. 

TerraEpon

The 9th is on one of the Naxos discs too.

sdtom

[urlhttp://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/glazunov-symphony-no-1-in-e-major-op-5-slavyanskaya/][/url]

I found the fourth movement from Svetlanov superior to the Naxos recording and not muddy at all if anything a bit bright. Having said that I really enjoy Glazunov's first effort. Impressed when you consider he was but a teenage boy.
Tom :)

JimL

As I recall, Liszt was mightily impressed with it as well.

sdtom

Quote from: JimL on Friday 29 April 2011, 00:00
As I recall, Liszt was mightily impressed with it as well.

As the man who began his publishing career with the work Belyayev. I for one give Glazunov a (*) for coming to the aid of Rimsky-Korsakov in the early 20th Century. He did bungle Rachmaninoff however and wasn't particularly forward thinking.
Tom

sdtom

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 15 April 2011, 07:54
there was a Melodiya/Olympia recording, I believe? Or just Olympia? Kitaenko conducting, coupled with Lvov's violin concerto. (I need to check better reference sources than the ones I just did to refresh my memory. I've heard it on the radio once I believe...)

I just discovered that I have a Melodiya recording of Glazunov's 1st Symphony with the USSR Radio and TV Large Symphony Orchestra/Fedoseyev. It is part of a Vox Box CDX 5118. I'll revise my review and include it.

eschiss1

that's ok, I was talking about the 9th anyway ;):^)

sdtom