News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jacob from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 19 March 2011, 14:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

For those of you who haven't yet ventured in this direction, do allow me to recommend the new Dutton CD of Gordon Jacob works for viola and orchestra. This is simply gorgeous stuff all the way through. Yes, there is RVW in the mix (think the London Symphony), but there is so much more - wonderful melodies, superb orchestration (the brass writing is often spectacular) and often breathtaking viola playing from the enormously gifted Helen Callus, surely one of the world's great violists. Another must-buy...

Bazzwest

Does anyone know when if ever Dutton Epoch will allow downloads from their website or another. Classics Online would be ideal because they permit downloads in Australia. Even some short samples of each disc would permit some evaluation of the music. I am based in Australia but love British music. A lot of the discs look tempting but I am wary of buying without hearing.

Mark Thomas

Welcome Bazzwest! I do agree that it is frustrating not to be able to download Dutton recordings, but I have no idea when, if ever, this will be possible. Can I suggest that you email them? They're certainly missing a trick and I'd have thought that their catalogue is big enough now for it to be feasible for them to do it in house like Chandos and Hyperion.

M. Henriksen