News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Joseph Suder 1892-1980

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 21 March 2011, 16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

Ever heard of the German composer Joseph Suder? I hadn't until a few days ago, but I think this is a composer that could be of interest to members of the forum.
I've only heard excerpts of his music, but my impression is that this is a very conservative composer very much influenced by Brahms. I'm tempted to start exploring his music which is quite well represented on disc.
Have a look at the links below, and let me hear if anyone knows this composer and his music!

The homepage of the Joseph Suder Association:
http://www.suder.org/?page=start

Recordings avaliable at jpc:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search/-/komponistnr/5001568

Morten

Alan Howe

I agree, his music sounds very attractive. Perhaps the two-movement PC might be the place to start?

Mark Thomas

Hmm (as Eric would say). This stuff sounds right up my street too. How come he's slipped under the radar? Thanks Morten.

M. Henriksen

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 21 March 2011, 17:38
How come he's slipped under the radar?

That was my first thought also. How on earth!? Especially since there are quite a few recordings and they've obviously been around for some time. I think I'll spend parts of the evening listening to the excerpts and see if Suder is worth an investment.

Morten

alberto

On reading the post, I remembered I own a Suder CD (Chamber Symphony-1925- 42'21"; First Symphonic Music-1940- 17' 30", Bamberger Sym., Uwe Mund, Orfeo , 1994).
I tooked again the CD (untouched by some years, but not completely forgotten in contents) and listened. Worthy, well written, very conservative music (better the Chamber Symphony than the later work).
The understandably apologetical notes in the booklet (written by one Alexander L.Suder) claim that the Chamber Sympony was several times conducted by Karajan in Germany and abroad.

X. Trapnel

I think the slow middle section of the blandly-titled Symphonic Music very beautiful indeed; memorable too. I've no idea what suder was up to (or down to) during the Nazi years. There's also a recording of his opera Clothes Make the Man, based on the Gottfired Keller story.

Mark Thomas

I've just downloaded and listened to the two movement Piano Concerto, in which a deliciously rhapsodic Adagio is followed by a livelier, but still quite un-20th century Rondo finale.  The work is almost a concerto for piano and clarinet as the latter instrument has several prominent obbligatos. Altogether, a very enjoyable bedtime listen. The solo piano works which accompany it all seem very much to my, lyrical, taste too, but I have only sampled them.

Like Alberto, I'm ashamed to find that I have the Chamber Symphony & Symphonic Music CD in my collection and had totally forgotten it. I'll dig it out tomorrow and see if it ingratiates itself this time around. Maybe Suder's time has come?

Gareth Vaughan

What thoroughly attractive music.

JimL

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 21 March 2011, 22:40
I've just downloaded and listened to the two movement Piano Concerto, in which a deliciously rhapsodic Adagio is followed by a livelier, but still quite un-20th century Rondo finale.  The work is almost a concerto for piano and clarinet as the latter instrument has several prominent obbligatos. Altogether, a very enjoyable bedtime listen. The solo piano works which accompany it all seem very much to my, lyrical, taste too, but I have only sampled them.
The work seems to be titled "Piano concerto with clarinet obbligato" on the Thorofon CD.

petershott@btinternet.com

Yet more shameful confessions! It seems I bought Kleider machen Leute from MDT in 1992. Obviously listened to it one or two times, and then it got shelved and not revisited. My very dim memories of the opera are of an opera that certainly does not deserve that fate. So Saturday night is now fully booked.

Such things are the downside of too much record buying. My financial advisor, whose condition can be likened to that of a member of the Temperance Union stationed outside an 18th gin palace, tells me I could now be living in a mansion rather than a house had it not been for all those CDs. I consider he has got his priorities all wrong.

Anyone remember MDT way back in 1992? A lovely shop near the middle of Derby, and always with a very tempting bargain bin. But even then there was a room upstairs with a young girl furiously stuffing the new fangled CDs into postage bags. Then they moved to a grotty forlorn industrial site outside Derby and had four girls stuffing CDs into bags and boxes.

Mark Thomas

I have listened to the Suder Piano Concerto several times today. The Rondo finale is fine, although not particularly memorable but the opening Adagio is utterly gorgeous - a shimmering rhapsody which is jaw droppingly beautiful. If you want a dollop of real pleasure, spend a couple of £'s or $'s and download this piece. It's balm for the stressed out, and I speak as someone who has had a throbbing head all day!

Alan Howe

Well, my copy of the Chamber Symphony (on Orfeo) came today and all I can say is that I've rarely been so captivated by a piece of music new to me. It's obviously 20th century stuff, but equally obviously part of the received tradition. I'd never have bothered with it had it not been for this thread, so, gentlemen, I am in your debt!

Taneyev

I've SQ 2 and 3 and a winds quintet. Romantic,conservative but lovely music. A Calig-Verlag Deutche CD